728x90 AdSpace

  • Latest News

    Powered by Blogger.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012

    Mount Agad-agad Exploration and Mountain Trekking

    Iligan City viewed from the third peak
    Last April 23, 2012. I'm going to take you on how I and with my team going to Mount Agad-agad. According to our so-called "team leader" that will navigates us to the peak that the inclination is quite rough and slippery. The team visited Mount Agad-agad a number of times, so then it's my first time going up to a 1,600 meter mountain and I thought to myself that I can do it.

    Before we went to the stop (where you can see the hanging bridge), we purchased food and large water plastic bottles so that when you are experiencing thirst or starting to get dehydrated, at least you have a bottled water with you. After that we called the jeepney that has a route "Pala-o 542 Riverside" to get to the entry road going to Puga-an, it only costs 8 pesos regular fare going there.

    (Alternately, you can go to the Pala-o Wet Market using the route "Pala-o 542 Riverside" jeepney route going to the Puga-an jeepney terminal to take you to the stop. Ask the locals on how much fee is going there but I think it's the same as the regular fare which is 8 pesos. Tell the driver that you will stop at "Mount Agad-agad".)

    Then, after we arrive to the entry road going to the stop, we luckily find a jeepney that is going to garage and in the same time he's heading to somewhere place where he'll pass the stop, so we take the opportunity going there instead of hiking (there was no Puga-an jeep at that time).

    The stop, overlooking the hanging bridge, leading the way to Mount Agad-agad
    On the photo: Felix

    When we arrived to the stop, the team changed clothes, shoes or a gear which you will encounter slippery areas or inclined road trail, this just to ensure that we are safety to our travel. We walked around 10-15 minutes going to the road which will lead us. The team leader told me that I will officially start the time duration going up and so then the trek started at 12:50PM. He also advised the team that we will find a wooden stick because that was to support our walk by not consuming too much strength.

    Road Trail

    The first 15 minutes of our walk, the trail was easy because we we’re going up and the same time going down but as we move on to our destination, we starting to encounter rocky roads, slippery trail due to leaves that coming off from the tree. I thanked myself that I was able to change my jeans to my sleeping shorts, not pajama shorts and my shirt was able to absorb sweat, I thank my brother for giving me his shirt which fits for the travel.

    When we have the 30 minutes of the travel, my foot and leg is starting to get tired but the others find it that they are not tired yet. We also encountered a “mini” waterfall at the foot of the mountain, we take a break from there by washing faces but according to the team that the water is not advisable to drink, I didn’t ask why and we resume immediately.

    At a moments of time, some of the team members are starting to get exhausted and tired since we only stop for around 30 seconds to rest a bit, drink water and then resume to walk, that is the we encountered inclined road trail which about for 60-70 degrees. As we walk on the trail, I was located at the last person of the team and I thought of myself that I will stop, give up, go down and go home but the team encouraged me to climb as I was carrying a bag weighing around 3 kilos and 1 sling bag. A team member gets my sling bag to help and I continued going up.

    Reaching the top

    For 1 hour and 15 minutes estimate, finally, the team arrived the first peak of Mount Agad-agad, we take a full rest, eat the snacks that we purchased and we talked about the experience and some other stuff. My first impression of the first peak was very nice, largely enough to fit big tents around the area, as far as I know there are only 1 cottage and that is only for 100 pesos. The air is clean and cool, you’ll hear the birds chirping and far away to the city proper. Mr. Jun Bantilao (not sure of the spelling of the name) told us to pay 5 pesos each as entrance fee to peak. According to him that the fees that we are paying will proceed to the development of the first peak, he also told us that down below of the peak, there is a portion that you will see the panoramic view of Iligan City which was very beautiful. We also take the opportunity to take photos, different poses, jump shots and other stuff. And also for Facebook to upload the pictures and share the unforgettable bond as team and friends.

    The team members
    Top (L to R): Chellan, Dennis and Michael
    Bottom: Felix
    Our wacky jumpshots. L-R: Michael, Me, Joshua, Felix and Dennis

    After the first peak, we went to the second peak that was close to the previous peak; there we see the solar panels to supply the electricity power of the tower transmitter of the said network provider. And then we immediately went to the third peak, seeing the neighboring mountains around Iligan City and Bukidnon, if I am correct. Again, we take the opportunity to take photos of the view and to ourselves.

    The trekking team
    From left to right: Chellan, Michael, Me, Dennis, Joshua (team leader)
    Photo capture: Felix
    The tower transmitter located at the second peak

    From the top, going down

    When we had enough strength and rest, we hurriedly went down so that the rain won’t interrupt our travel going as it wets our trail and a big chance that we will slip and cause injury to ourselves. As we are going down, the group was separated and I wondered, “Are they still following us or we are following them?” So I called to the team leader to clarify their location, he told me that they are already at the basketball area and I and the other member are going down also quickly. There we rested for a while, drink the water that we had then going back to the stop. The team leader urged us to hurry because the rain is starting up, like being chased by the thundercloud.

    We arrived safely to the stop and also changing our clothes into casual wear because we are going to the city proper. Since the Puga-an liner jeep is not enough for the team to fit. So we take a hike to the entry road.

    We reached a convenience store and I told to the team that I will take a ride going the city proper because the rain already started and my bag has an item that is not waterproof. And finally, we said goodbyes to each other and telling that we had a great and better experience together going to Mount Agad-agad.
    By next month, we planned to climb again the Mount Agad-agad.

    The Team


    Date Traveled: April 23, 2012

    Going there
    • Take a ride going to the Puga-an jeepney terminal using any route that will able to reach you to the terminal.
    • Follow the road trail going to the peak. Bring an experienced mountaineer that is used to travel there for navigation.

    Travel Expenses and others
    • Regular fare fee going to the Puga-an jeepney terminal which is only 8 pesos. Ask the driver for further clarifications.
    • Have at least 300 pesos of pocket money, that includes 5 pesos of entrance fee (maybe in the next month they will increase it to 10-20 pesos)
    • Bring a food that is enough to regain your strength for going up or down, you can bring any food you want but please ensure that you will bring lots of water.

    Travel time (Mountain Trekking)
    • GOING UP: Around 1 hr and 15 mins. It may differ on the condition of the road trail going up.
    • GETTING BACK: Around 40 minutes – 1 hour. It may differ on the condition of the road going down.
    Photo Gallery



    • Blogger Comments
    • Facebook Comments

    7 comments:

    1. We thought we already reach the summit of Mount Agad Agad, we'll be back very soon..

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I read your blog entry on visiting the Mount Agad-agad. The place where you have camped-in was the second peak. Iligan City is best viewed in night time.

        Delete
    2. While I was in Washington for my level 2 avalanche course, I wanted to do some Mountain climbing with a fellow climber, Scotty, I had met previously on Summit Post. The first problem arose when I came down with a chest cold. This made it hard to breathe. It was probably due to only getting 2 hours of sleep because I drove 3.5 hours to O’ Hare to catch an early flight to Seattle. It felt like someone was sitting on my chest all weekend

      ReplyDelete
    3. Tita Rina, I think you're so excited to trek :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Sir ask ko lang if may marecommend kang guide for Agad agad? Thanks!

      ReplyDelete

    Item Reviewed: Mount Agad-agad Exploration and Mountain Trekking Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Pagkalaagan
    Scroll to Top